The Hallows Part 2

 ****Warning there are mature adult themes of sex, rape, violence, and a lot of foul language. The scenes are described graphically enough that I would not recommend this series to anyone under the age of 18****

I’ve been so busy with life and school I haven’t finished Kim Harrison’s The Hallows series. I just finished listening to book seven, “White Witch Black Curse” last night, and am currently 20% through with "Black Magic Sanction".

Rachel Morgan’s character is starting to show growth and maturity. Thank goodness! It only took seven books for Rachel to stop flinging herself headfirst into dangerous situations or hopping into bed with dangerous individuals, chasing the next thrill. It was becoming repetitive and annoying. I’m also glad that she has become less whiney. There comes a point as a reader where you just want to kick whiney characters and tell them to “put your big girl/boy pants on, and to get on with it”. 

I thought about discontinuing reading the series because the whining was getting so annoying, but I'm glad I stuck it out. To be honest I only made it through this far because I love Jenks's character so much. He is a pixie who is just as sassy as Rachel, full of 13-year-old boy humor and mischief, and unafraid to speak his mind. There’s no doubt the author included him to be comic relief. It’s not uncommon for me to burst into a fit of giggles after listening to what Jenks said.

In the books, a pixie’s life span is 20 years, and currently, Jenks is 18 years old. If he dies it might be the end for me. As I’m on book 8 of 19, and each book covers Rachel's adventures for a season, he is likely to die before the end.We'll see if I finished all 19 books, though I plan to thoroughly enjoy listening to Rachel's adventures with her interesting group of friends.

Comments

Popular Posts