Entwined Tales

 


I discovered this series this year when I was going through my library on Libby and reading and listening to all the books they had by Melanie Cellier. I almost passed on reading this series because I have read other series like this before, where each book is written by a different author, and been sorely disappointed. However, I am glad I gave this one a try. Some of the characters in the different books can be whiney and annoying on occasion, but I really enjoyed the twist of the characters having a terrible fairy godmother or in this case, a fairy godfather instead of a kind and benevolent fairy godmother. 

Mortimer is not only grumpy but also wants nothing to do with being a fairy godparent. He wants only to conduct experiments but is required to grant blessings and wishes by the godparent council. Forced to be a godparent to a woodcutter's family, his gifts leave much to be desired and send the woodcutter's children on all sorts of adventures.

I enjoyed all of the books in this series. My favorites are "A Beautiful Curse", and "An Inconvenient Princess".

"A Beautiful Curse" by Kenley Davidson is a retelling of the Frog Prince. I thought it was a clever choice to have the female character, Ellie, turn into a frog instead of the Prince, Prince Cambren, change into a frog. I also laugh that it was out of spite that Mortimer changes Ellie into a frog, for not being more grateful for her christening gift. This book was a funny light read at just under 200 pages, and is on my list of books to reread.

"An Inconvenient Princess" by Melanie Cellier definitely was the most well-written out of the series. Cellier as always, does a really good job with character development though sometimes the flow of her stories are less than perfect. In this story Penny, the baby out of the woodcutter's family, who often fells forgotten and overlooked is challenged by her adventures and finds herself a leader to an interesting group of individuals as she tries to find her twin, Anneliese.

Comments

Popular Posts